Lyndar the Merciless

a personal beauty + lifestyle blog

. .

Boys seldom make passes...

Friday, September 05, 2008   |   4 comments


Quite a few girls that I work with have gone off and had laser eye surgery in the last couple of months, and are now almost evangelical in their recommendations of the whole thing. (For anyone who doesn't know me, this is of interest to me because I am vay short-sighted and pretty much can't leave the bed of a morning without my specs on.)

Up until last Wednesday evening, I hadn't given the operation (because to my mind it's more than "a simple procedure", no matter what anyone says) much thought. You only get one pair of eyes and they are rather irreplaceable should something go wrong, and even if everything goes perfectly swimmingly well, it's hard to be satisfied that there are no long term ramifications. Anyway, what happened on Wednesday was that I had to go to a beauty Evint with my glasses on.

This is not the norm. I only wear my specs Monday to Friday for work and would always bring contacts with me to pop in at 5 if I was planning to do anything afterwards. The upshot of this was that I felt horrifically self-conscious and awkward and nerdy and uninteresting and unattractive and wallflower-ish all evening. The fact that I was wearing a very office-y outfit (grey straight leg trousers with white pinstripes and lilac/silver light crochet wrap v-neck jumper atop a white vest top) while all around me were effortlessly stylish meeja and morketing types did little to help. Oh, and my stupid growing-out fringe, which I have to clip off to the sides to prevent it hanging limply in my face, coupled with my long, poker straight, desperately-in-need-of-a-restyle hair and the feckin' specs make me look like a very demure, shy, terribly uncool girleen.

And to anyone who attempts to chime in with any "I'm sure you looked lovely"/"Ah don't be so hard on yourself"/similar niceness, don't bother - this is not just my subjective opinion, it's shared by the photographer who was busy snapping all the beautiful people in the room and had a shadow of absolute panic cross his face when it was insisted that I join in a pic.

All of this culminated in my deciding to have three glasses of champagne, a glass of red wine and a mojito in an effort to take the edge off the horror of feeling like the nerdiest girl on the planet. That's a lot of social lubrication for a schoolnight.

Stupid bloody glasses...

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 11:19 am, October 02, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As I was reading through the post I was thinking "ah don't be so hard on yourself" (before I got to the bit when you said don't say that) because any time I've seen you you always look so put together and polished and for me it's hard to imagine how someone as glam looking as you would feel down about how they're looking on a given day. But no-one knows what goes on people's heads (thank God no-one knows what goes on in mine, it's scary!!) so we're all entitled to just feel BLLLAAAAAAH! when we want to ;)

     
  • At 11:22 am, October 02, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    BTW, my brother got laser surgery in the summer and he's delighted with it altogether, but I don't think I'm going to make the leap anytime soon unless an eye doctor tells me I'll have to stop wearing lenses because I hate wearing my glasses as well. They are perfectly respectable glasses and all (compared to the jam jars I had as a child) but I just don't like that whole "I've got something perched on my nose" feeling when I'm out and about. At home it's a different story as I like to give my eyes a rest from contacts!

     
  • At 6:32 pm, October 03, 2008, Blogger Unknown said…

    Deise, the one thing I never feel & have never been called before in my whole entire life is glam, so thank you very muchly for that!!!! :D

    It was mad because I actually had put a bit of thought into what to put on me that morning & it was grand for work, but then I had a total crisis of confidence in the room of mwah-mwah beautifully dressed meeeeja types!

    Oh if I could wear my contacts in work I don't think I'd even give laser a second thought, that would be suh-weeeeet. I find I can't focus properly on the computer screen with them though which is a right pain in the proverbial, bah!

     
  • At 12:41 pm, October 06, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I poked myself in the eye the other night (while wandering drunkenly down a street in Waterford) and lost a contact lens so now I am wearing an old scratchy contact lens. I have been meaning to go to Specsavers in the GPO arcade for ages and ask them to get my records from the Grafton Street branch so I can go to the branch nearer my office. Now would be a good time to go!! In this case I really should have gone to Specsavers...... My glasses are also inexplicably horribly scratched so I need to get new lenses for them as well. KERCHING!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

. . . . « Older Posts . . . . . . . . . . ..Home. . . . . . . . . ... Newer Posts » .

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails