Lyndar the Merciless

a personal beauty + lifestyle blog

. .

Talontastic Thursday: Marimekko Unikko-inspired Nails

Thursday, July 29, 2010   |   6 comments


Today's Talontastic Thursday was originally inspired by, um, a tea towel.

This one:

It's a Marimekko Unikko tea towel that I bought in Selfridges earlier this year. I've always loved the print and had toyed with the idea of trying to recreate it on my nails for a long time, but it was only when I saw this post on Sophy Robson's blog the other day that I decided it would be do-able and got stuck in...

Marimekko Unikko inspired nails

Please excuse the crappy iPhone photo (must find camera charger) and the bizzarely gnarly state of my fingers!

It's actually fairly easy to do, since the Marimekko flowers aren't too perfect or symmetrical - I just used the corner of the nail varnish brush to daub on irregularly sized and shaped petals.

I used two coats of Clarins French White as a base, Make-Up Store Elin for the red flowers, Sally Hansen Fuschia Bling Bling for the pink flowers, OPI In My Back Pocket for their orange centers, and China Glaze Liquid Leather applied with a small tapered brush for the black center spots and stems, before topping the whole lot off with Essie Super Duper Top Coat.

If you fancy giving it a whirl yourself, I'd recommend making the flowers larger and leaving less white space than I've done here to better capture the look of the Marimekko print.

What do you think?


Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • At 1:29 pm, July 29, 2010, Blogger Kitty Catastrophe said…

    Wowzers, that looks brilliant Lynnie! I'd love to give it a whack but I just think I'd have the patience or steadiness of hand for it!

     
  • At 2:31 pm, July 29, 2010, Anonymous Annie said…

    Cuuuuute! I really really like that. As Kitty said, I'd never be able to do it myself, but one can dream!

     
  • At 3:47 pm, July 29, 2010, Anonymous Emz said…

    Wow this looks fab Lynnie - you have great patience!

     
  • At 10:57 pm, July 29, 2010, Blogger xgirl said…

    I am in awe. I'd never have the patience for it but it looks fantastic! Great excuse not to do any housework for a week or so now :)

     
  • At 8:55 am, July 30, 2010, Anonymous kirstie said…

    looks amazing!

     
  • At 4:38 pm, July 30, 2010, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thanks laydees!

    Kitty Cat & Annie, I reckon this would look super cool as a statement nail if yizzer were at a loose end some evening and fancied giving it a go - maybe just this on the ring fingers with the pink or red or even black as the main colour for the rest of the nails?

    Emz - yes. But, eh, only for nails ;)

    xgirl - well exactly ;)

    kirstie - thanks missus!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

. . . . « Older Posts . . . . . . . . . . ..Home. . . . . . . . . ... Newer Posts » .

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails