Lyndar the Merciless

a personal beauty + lifestyle blog

. .

Talon-tastic Thursday: In your satin tights / fighting for your rights / and the old red, white and bluuue...

Thursday, February 10, 2011   |   4 comments


She was one of my very favourite TV characters when I was growing up in the '80s, but I always had a problem with the fact that Wonder Woman's transformation from Diana Prince to eponymous superhero involved taking off her specs and letting down her hair.

That was well before I actually wore glasses, but it was my first remembered brush with the celluloid cliché of nerdy/bookish/reserved female characters removing their glasses and shaking loose their buns/sleekifying their formerly fuzzy manes to gasps of "But - you're beautiful!" and it's gotten right on my wick ever since.

Still, it didn't stop me DIYing a Wonder Woman costume last Halloween, or accidentally paying homage to her with the manicure you're about to see.

I was originally going for matching red lips and tips, so slung on a coat of Essie 'Wife Goes On' to roughly co-ordinate with my Rimmel 'Be Bold' pout. A couple of hours later, I was fed up reapplying my lippie and bored of my plain nails. I pulled out some nail art pens and

(imagine me spinning around here, singing the Wonder Woman theme tune as my transformation from a glasses-girl to Hot Babe takes place)

BAM! 



The white half moons on red remind me of her boots, and I packed the WAH-inspired accent thumbnail with as many teeny polka dots as I could manage for a true Ben-Day pop art effect to pay homage to her comic book beginnings.

Sure, I could have done stars and stripes and the WW logo and the Lasso of Truth and all that jazz, but I wanted something that was a bit less obvious. 


What do you think of them?

In other Wonder Woman news: MAC's Wonder Woman collection went on counter in the States today, so I'll definitely have a goo at it while I'm in New York. I don't think my wallet's in too much danger from it, though.

With the exception of the nail polishes, the packaging is just pure minging to my eyes!


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 2:14 pm, February 12, 2011, Blogger itsnevertoolatetolearn said…

    Lynnie,

    You probably actually are my nail hero, haha, my track record using white nail varnish is not good.
    My own post this week mentions you....thanks for the inspiration....sorry I didnt do you justice tho hahaha xx

     
  • At 12:59 pm, February 21, 2011, Blogger Unknown said…

    Miss Educator - what a lovely comment, thank you x

    P.S. I think they turned out well!

     
  • At 1:52 am, March 06, 2011, Anonymous Mimi said…

    how do you get the edges at your cuticles so neat? I always end up with polish all over my fingers! :/

     
  • At 6:39 pm, March 08, 2011, Blogger Unknown said…

    Mimi - it's just practise, and I know that's the most boring answer ever but it's true. Honest! Used to need to use a cotton ear bud dipped in NV remover, then graduated to a nail varnisher remover pen from Essence, but I can keep them tidy pretty much freehand now :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

. . . . « Older Posts . . . . . . . . . . ..Home. . . . . . . . . ... Newer Posts » .

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails