Lyndar the Merciless

a personal beauty + lifestyle blog

. .

Jam jars + doilies + tea lights = AMAZEBALLS outdoor lighting idea

Friday, May 13, 2011   |   6 comments


{image source: Crafts By Amanda}

Sticking tea light in jam jars is a dead easy way to get some al fresco lighting on, but I've always felt it to be a bit of a bachelor pad/utilitarian looking solution. And then I saw these prettified doily-embellished versions and had an honest-to-goodness "now why didn't I think of that!" moment, complete with mucho forehead slapping.

This is one of the nicest little DIY projects I've seen in a while, and I fully intend to follow Amanda's instructions and make several myself. Just as soon as I've amassed enough jars to do so on a grand(ish) scale - I currently have a grand total of one, which wouldn't exactly look spectacular.

I only wish that I'd come across this "how to" while I was waiting on Camden to send me recycling bins, when I had about six weeks' worth of recycling piled up and a veritable army of glass jars that would have been perfect for the job.

In other news: must really try and get Himself to polish off the last of that honey and jam this weekend. The jars they're in are taking up valuable cupboard space.

Ehem.


Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 3:24 pm, May 14, 2011, Blogger Eimear Nic an B said…

    LOVE! Also saw a genius outdoor lighting idea in the latest issue of Donna Hay mag - she spraypainted stand-up graters and popped candles inside.

     
  • At 11:20 am, May 18, 2011, Blogger Unknown said…

    Eimear - so simple, what a grate idea!

    (Sorry. I'll get me coat...)

     
  • At 8:53 pm, May 18, 2011, Anonymous Eimear Nic an B said…

    Is this what London has done to you?!!!

     
  • At 5:54 pm, May 26, 2011, Blogger Unknown said…

    Ha ha, Eimear I'd like to say yes but actually I just have a soft spot for terrible, terrible puns ;)

    Still haven't got round to implementing this, but I am up to 3 jars now. Boo yeh!

     
  • At 4:15 am, August 07, 2011, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    um, hi :) i was just wondering if you'd nkow what would be a good size doily? :)
    regards
    Cora

     
  • At 11:42 am, August 07, 2011, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi Cora,

    I think it's mostly going to depend on the size of the jam jars/mason jars you're using. My plan is to use doilies that are *just* large enough to cover one side of the jars I'm sticking them onto - any bigger and I think it would be difficult to get the other side of the doily to stick neatly on the back of the jar because of the excess material. I'll be going for ones that are 6" or thereabouts in diameter.

    Hope that helps :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

. . . . « Older Posts . . . . . . . . . . ..Home. . . . . . . . . ... Newer Posts » .

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails