Thursday, July 07, 2011
I'm writing about how to DIY an easy tribal manicure on Beaut.ie today, so I thought I'd show you another of my attempts to nail the tribal look here.
This one (inspired by The Illustrated Nail) is a bit more involved, and I don't think it could really be replicated without at least a black nail art pen (I used the pink, white and black from my Nails Supreme set.)
1. Paint the entire nail white.
2. Add the thick black stripes from about 3/4 way down the nail plate to the tips (just use a regular nail polish brush that's not overloaded with product and a steady hand.)
3. Add the pink stripe. This will cover any unevenness at the base of the black stripes.
4. When the pink is dry, use a black nail art pen for the skinny mid-pink stripe.
5. For the detail at the cuticles, draw a straight line to form the base first using a black nail art pen, then draw the outline of each mini triangle, then fill in.
6. If you don't have a nail art pen, try adding a row of small dots across the middle of the thick pink stripes and at the cuticles. You can use a ball point pen for this.
Annoyingly, my Sally Hansen InstaDri topcoat caused quite a bit of dragging. GAH. There are few things more frustrating than slaving over a hot nail art pen only for your topcoat to pull your design across the nail.
It's great for finishing off a normal paint job, but I'll be using good ol' Seche Vite in my future design endeavours!