Lyndar the Merciless

a personal beauty + lifestyle blog

. .

JUST PUT YOUR DAMN COAT ON.

Saturday, July 07, 2012   |   4 comments



Every so often a trend comes along that makes me wonder what the actual eff, and this business of fashion editors and journos and bloggers and stylists and fash types generally wearing their blazers, cardigans, coats, or jackets draped over their shoulders is one of them.


I mean, I kind of get it: it ensures that you give everyone a good eyeful of what you're wearing underneath that outermost layer so they can be suitably wowed by your ensemble. And probably gives you the edge if you get dressed every morning thinking "Would the Sartorialist photograph me in this?" since street style hunters seem to go nuts for the affect effect.


I'm sure shrugging on a coat like it's a cape is supposed to look cool and effortlessly chic - because putting your arms through sleeves is like, so much extra work, you guys - but actually I think it makes these fashionistas look like try hard extras in a modern reworking of Grease who never needs to use their arms. (Side note: I do actually like it on someone who looks like they cold have been an extra in Grease the first time around. And on Dita Von Teese. Retro good; hipster bad.)


Supposedly it's a street style phenomenon, but I have yet to see anyone In Real Life in what is one of the most fashionable cities on earth rocking this stupid looking look.

Just as well, really, because I'm not sure I could resist gently tugging the offending coat off their shoulders in a walk-by disrobing...

{image credits: 1. Street Peeper; all others Tommy Ton}


Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 5:11 pm, July 07, 2012, Blogger Rose Eva said…

    hah! I think it's a good idea when it's raining but still warm- put the hoodie on, let the coat shield me, but then throw it off under shelter. other than that- too much effort, I'd say, to keep it from falling off your shoulders, etc.

    Rose Eva
    Blog

     
  • At 9:46 pm, July 07, 2012, Blogger S said…

    Haha I read this thinking "how come nobody just takes the coats off them for the craic?" and then I got to your last lines - I do not know. I want to do it now and they're only pictures. It's a ridiculous trend, makes them look like they've got two extra arms, and reminds me of something my son used to do to amuse himself when he was about 3 - take his arms out of his sleeves and spin round with empty sleeves flapping. I'm not sure I described that properly but that is what I imagine these people doing.

     
  • At 11:16 pm, July 07, 2012, Blogger Sabrina said…

    haha 'walk-by disrobing' seriously in stitches at the thought of you yanking the jacket off some young wan. How do they keep them on? Velcro, double sided sticky tape? the wind in Cork would blow that jacket into next year. x

     
  • At 3:21 pm, July 09, 2012, Blogger Unknown said…

    Rose Eva & Sabrina - that's it, I really dunno how they stay on! If I tried it my coat would end up on the ground more often than it was on my shoulders.

    MissGreenEyes - ha I used to do that too as a kid! Had forgotten about it totally until I read your comment :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

. . . . « Older Posts . . . . . . . . . . ..Home. . . . . . . . . ... Newer Posts » .

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails