Lyndar the Merciless

a personal beauty + lifestyle blog

. .

My Tan Commandments: Thou Shalt Totally Cheat.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012   |   8 comments



One of my cousins got hitched last weekend (congrats again, Liz!) and since I was wearing this sleeveless knee-length number and didn't want to be mistaken for a milk bottle in a frock, fake tan was a must.

I'm not sure whether tan is supposed to be IN or O-U-T at the moment - honestly, who can keep up anymore? - but frankly I couldn't give a toss. The pale and interesting look that works so well for the likes of Anne Hathaway and Cate Blanchett just doesn't suit me at all and if I'm exposing limbs, they're going to see the business end of a self-tanning mitt beforehand.

Now, I need two applications of most light tans before I achieve a shade that I'm really happy with; I find that this gives a lighter and more natural result than slapping on one coat of a darker colour. There's just one little problem with that approach: I'm not organised enough to build up a tan gradually over the course of a couple of days.

So I cheat.

I apply one layer of tan, and after waiting an hour for it to dry, I apply another.

My other big tan cheat is to shower off the guide colour after 4 hours rather than leaving it for the 8 hours that most recommend. This, in my experience, is sufficient time for the DHA that causes self-tan to develop to bind to skin. When I do this, it doesn't interfere with the colour I ultimately achieve as the DHA is still on my skin and the tan can continue to develop post-shower, and it means that I get the benefit of being able to see exactly where my tan is going as I apply it but don't have to put up with the guide colour transferring onto my bed sheets or clothes.

Have you any sneaky tan shortcuts of your own to recommend?


Labels:

8 Comments:

  • At 9:42 am, July 18, 2012, Blogger Rose Eva said…

    I have never used self-tanner! I used to rely on the sun, but living in England I'm starting to realize that might not be possible after all.. so if I pick some up in the future, thanks for the tips. :) x

    Rose Eva
    Silhouetted

     
  • At 9:48 am, July 18, 2012, Blogger Unknown said…

    I am so so so so rubbish at fake tan Lynnie. Can you give me an extended masterclass?!

     
  • At 9:56 am, July 18, 2012, Anonymous Clara said…

    Where is the green dress from? I have a wedding soon-ish and I'm on a dress hunt!

     
  • At 10:44 am, July 18, 2012, Blogger Unknown said…

    Rose Eva - lol, you're welcome!

    E - I shall pull together all the little tricks that work for me and do a post on them next week :)

    Clara - Marks & Spencer! It's actually even nicer in person than it looks here. It was in the sale and there are none left now on the website, but you might get lucky in store. Here's the link to the details: Per Una Speziale Pure Silk Drape Dress

     
  • At 2:33 pm, July 18, 2012, Anonymous girlie said…

    Great ideas Linda, and i loved the dress
    girlie

     
  • At 10:54 pm, July 18, 2012, Blogger Sabrina said…

    Oh seriously love the dress. I'm going to a wedding next month in Spain, I need to get my shiza together and buy a dress, defo going to have a look in M&S.

    I honestly admire girls who can pull off the pale look, I really can't and haven't the balls to be honest. I feel so much better with a nice golden tan. I love He-Shi foaming mousse, it's an instant colour that then develops more over a few hours. So you can see what your doing. And no rank biscuit smell.

    Faking it is the way forward :-)

     
  • At 9:55 am, July 19, 2012, Anonymous Clara said…

    Thanks Lynnie. I had a quick look after work yesterday, only size 16 left. I've loads of time to get a dress, but now I've seen that one I really want it :)

     
  • At 12:04 pm, July 19, 2012, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thanks Girlie x

    Sabrina - have heard great things about He-Shi but have yet to try it, must give it a whirl!

    Clara - I'm the same. Once I saw that dress I was determined to get it, went to every M&S in London to track it down in my size lol!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

. . . . « Older Posts . . . . . . . . . . ..Home. . . . . . . . . ... Newer Posts » .

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails