Lyndar the Merciless

a personal beauty + lifestyle blog

. .

Pretty in Print: NCLA Nail Wraps review

Wednesday, March 06, 2013   |   4 comments



Nail wraps are a great idea in theory, since they make it possible for everyone to achieve eye-catching designs or effects with a minimum of mess, smelliness, and effort. They're perfect for a last minute fix or for DIYing showstopper nails on the go, but in some respects they can be hit and miss.

For every wrap I've used that worked beautifully, I've tried three that were thick and unwieldy and refused to adhere smoothly to the nail. I also feel that wraps can be wildly expensive when compared to polish on a cost-per-wear basis. So when the lovely ladies at Cult Beauty sent me a gorgeous-looking packet of NCLA nail wraps designed by Melody Ehsani, well, I wasn't optimistic that I'd get on brilliantly with them. (Spoiler alert: I kinda did.)

The pack contained far more wraps than I'd anticipated (44 wraps on 2 sheets) together with a nail file, and the wraps were easy peasy to use. As instructed, I applied a base coat (two layers of OPI Nail Envy), selected the best size for each nail, peeled them off the backing, aligned them with the base of the nail, and smoothed them firmly onto the nail plate and tip.


Before lifting them, I used a small scissors to trim some of the larger wraps to fit - minimising waste and ensuring that I can get the maximum number of manicures (4) from the pack.

Then, after filing away the excess at the tip, I added a layer of top coat to each nail, per the instructions.

Want to see how they turned out?




BOOM. Awesome.

As you can see, I had no issues with wrinkling or bubbling, although I did make a bit of a hash of trimming the wrap for my right thumb.

To give you a bit of context, NCLA nail wraps are thicker than Sally Hansen Salon Effects, but not as thick as Claire's Accessories or Nail Rock decals, and I found that they were flexible and easy to work with. The tips filed off cleanly to give a perfectly smooth free edge, but on some nails you can juuuust see the white base showing under the design where the tips were filed. 


That's my only complaint, and really it's a very slight perfectionist gripe. I've had these on now for nearly 24 hours and took those photographs just a few minutes ago: they look just as good as when I applied them and there's been no lifting or additional tip wear. 

All in all, I've been pleasantly surprised by NCLA wraps. Given the ease of use, that it's possible to get 4 full manis or pedis from each pack, that the wraps don't dry out and have a shelf life of a whopping two years, and how truly unique the designs are (possibly the important consideration for moi) so far I think these are a bit of a winner. 

I'll update you in a few days to let you know how they wear!

NCLA nail wraps are £12.50 from Cult Beauty

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 2:52 pm, March 07, 2013, Blogger Sabrina said…

    Love love looooove, so summery. Would love to hear how long they last, update please! x

     
  • At 6:08 pm, March 07, 2013, Blogger Unknown said…

    Sabrina - today's update... just lashed on another layer of top coat there about three minutes ago and they're still totally perfect.

    I am now wondering if I might get the weekend out of them. Probably unrealistic but fingers crossed :)

     
  • At 10:58 pm, March 10, 2013, Blogger Polished4Pros said…

    I love how they look! How do they compare to OPI Apps? I get a good week out of them:)

     
  • At 4:16 pm, May 13, 2014, Blogger Arachne646 said…

    Thanks, just checked out your review because I googled it! Nice to get the info before choosing a brand of nail wraps. I tried Kiss brand (are they available in the UK?), very thick and stiff. I'm leaning towards trying the NCLA ones, here in Canada they're available online.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

. . . . « Older Posts . . . . . . . . . . ..Home. . . . . . . . . ... Newer Posts » .

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails